“True vision is the ability to see what is possible
simply by looking at what is already there.”
If there is one tool in life that gives you the power to be successful in anything and everything you do it would have to be persistence. Most people never reach their goals because they get discouraged and stop just inches away from that goal’s completion.
In his book, Think and Grow Rich, Napoleon Hill shares a story about R.U. Darby’s uncle who was caught up in “gold rush fever” and went west to dig. After weeks of labor, he was rewarded with the discovery of shiny ore. He quietly covered his find, and left to raise funds from his business associates to purchase the machinery he needed to bring the ore to the surface. When he returned to the site, he discovered that the vein of gold ore had disappeared!
He drilled for weeks trying to pick up the vein, finally giving up, selling his machinery to a junk man. The junk man hired an engineer to study the mine, and together, they discovered that Darby had stopped just three feet short of one of the richest gold veins ever discovered in North America. Just like Darby, most people get discouraged and give up on their goals just before they would achieve incredible success!
Vic Johnson tells the story of the tribe in Africa that confounded all of the anthropologists. It seems that this tribe had for centuries enjoyed a 100% success rate with its rain dance. In comparing this tribe to other tribes who did rain dances but who didn’t always experience success, the experts couldn’t find anything that differentiated the one tribe. They performed the same rituals, praying the same incantations to the same gods, in the same costumes. Like all the tribes, they sometimes danced for days, even weeks on end. Finally an astute observer noticed something very telling. The successful tribe did one thing — and only one thing — different than the other tribes. It ALWAYS danced UNTIL it rained!
I read somewhere that Walt Disney went bankrupt seven times before he became successful. Talk about continuing to dance until it rains!
“You have to know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em,
know when to walk away, and know when to run.”
~~~~Kenny Rogers, “The Gambler”~~~~~~
Persistence sounds good on paper, but what about the real world? How do you know that “giving up” is not the right thing to do? The most successful people on the planet are also some of the most stubborn. They don’t take no for an answer. They aren’t easily swayed by failure. They make decisions quickly and intuitively, but change those decisions slowly if at all. If making decisions isn’t your strong suit, here are some tips for making choices that stick to you so you’ll stick to them.
1. “I know where I am going.” Success and progress towards achieving your goals in life begin with having a definite purpose. All decisions you make will be correct when you align with that purpose.
2. “I am successful.” Always see yourself as capable. Never doubt your ability to accomplish your objective.
3. “My word is my bond.” Always keep your word, thereby your integrity. Don’t say yes to something unless you are prepared to follow through.
4. “I am Master of my emotions.” Decisions based on emotional discomfort are not likely to stick. Emotions pass, but the impact of your decision may not. Emotional attachment to an idea may very well be an indication of the passion and commitment you will bring to it’s implementation, but make sure the rest of you is in alignment before you make the commitment.
5. “I am positive.” A positive mind always finds a way to get it done while a negative mind always looks for ways it can’t be done. Make sure you are utilizing a positive mental attitude which will attract opportunities to you.
6. “I am flexible” Opportunities for success don’t always walk right in the front door and introduce themselves. Opportunity often comes from the most unexpected places. Be flexible and willing to see them when they appear.
7. “I am always in the right place, doing the right thing, at the right time.” Know that whatever situation comes your way, you will always do the right thing towards the right outcome.
8. “I am healthy and strong.” Treasure your health and take every step within your power to maintain your physical well-being. Do not allow illness to be an excuse for failure.
9. “I am enthusiastic.” Your enthusiasm fuels your idea forward when all other resources are expended. Your enthusiasm is contagious and attracts others to support your goals.
10. “I am self-disciplined.” Self-discipline is the controlling factor for every action you take. Without it you are like a ship adrift without a rudder, compass, or sail. You are completely at the mercy of the forces of nature that are free to toss you into whatever direction they may be going.
Read this list every day, and burn these affirmations into your subconscious mind. If you are having trouble reaching or sticking to a decision, read them over and over until you know what the right thing to do is.
Excerpt from the book by Shauna Marshall, PLANTING THE MONEYTREE: A BOTTOMLINE GUIDE TO CULTIVATING WEALTH, COPYRIGHT 1993-2013, Shauna Marshall Design. VISIT US online @ http://www.prosperityprinciples.com for a free copy of THE HARVEST MEDITATION.